If you have other capital gains to report

If your capital gain is not from a residential property sold after 6 April 2020, you can report your gain:

  • in a Self Assessment tax return
  • using the ‘real time’ Capital Gains Tax Service

Before you start, you’ll need to work out if you need to pay and how much you owe.

Report in a Self Assessment tax return

You can report your gains in a Self Assessment tax return in the tax year after you sold or disposed of an asset.

If you’re reporting gains on property using a Capital Gains Tax on UK property account, you must include details of your gain and any tax you’ve paid in your tax return.

Do not wait until the next tax year to report gains on UK residential property sold since 6 April 2020. You may have to pay interest and a penalty if you do.

You can get help with your tax return from an accountant or tax adviser.

After you’ve submitted a return, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will tell you how much you owe, how to pay and when to pay.

Report using the ‘real time’ Capital Gains Tax service

You can use the service to report gains on assets you sold during the tax year:

  • 2021 to 2022
  • 2022 to 2023

If you’re registered for Self Assessment, you’ll still need to include details of the sale in your Self Assessment tax return.

You cannot use the service to report:

  • gains on residential property
  • on behalf of someone else

Report your Capital Gains Tax now

You’ll need a Government Gateway user ID and password to set your account up or sign in. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one the first time you sign in.

How to pay

After you’ve reported your gains, HMRC will send you a letter or email giving you a payment reference number starting with ‘x’.

Use your payment reference when you pay:

You must report by 31 December in the tax year after you made your gain and pay by 31 January. For example, if you made a gain in the 2022 to 2023 tax year, you need to report it by 31 December 2023 and pay by 31 January 2024.

If you need to make a change

You’ll need to submit a new report using your report reference number starting with ‘RTT’. You’ll be sent this number by email after you first use the service.


✨Shaking up the accounting profession ✨Business coach ✨Book Author ✨ Multi business-owning mom & wife.

I love to make business fun & have a passion for teaching my clients how to build a life they love while making an income they deserve!

Madeleine Salariu